Canada will open its border to fully vaccinated Americans and permanent residents of the U.S. for non-essential travel on August 9. The Canadian government is eliminating the three-night quarantine hotel policy for those arriving by air as of August 9.
- Be fully vaccinated by a vaccine accepted by the Government of Canada, at least 14 days prior to entering Canada;
- meet the pre-entry test requirements;
- provide a digital copy of vaccination documentation in English or French;
- provide COVID-19 related information electronically through ArriveCAN prior to arrival in Canada;
- provide a quarantine plan and be prepared to quarantine in case border agents determine they do not meet the necessary requirements
- be asymptomatic upon arrival; and
- participate in random COVID-19 testing.
Unvaccinated children under 12 years of age and dependents of fully vaccinated travellers eligible for entry to Canada will be exempt from quarantine. However, they will remain subject to the Day 1 and Day 8 testing requirements, and must avoid group settings, such as camps or daycare’s.
Provinces and territories may have more stringent rules around people who have recently returned from travel.
As of August 9, international passenger flights will be allowed in Halifax, Quebec City, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Winnipeg airports (this is in addition to Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver airports). There will be a ban on direct flights from India until at least August 21 due to concerns about the Delta variant of COVID-19.
Unvaccinated travellers will still be required to follow the mandatory testing and quarantine restrictions, and Canada will continue to prohibit U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated and for all other foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.
On September 7, Canada intends to open its borders for non-essential travel by travellers from any country who have been fully vaccinated with Government of Canada-accepted vaccines at least 14 days prior to entering Canada and who meet the specific entry requirements. The entry and arrival requirements for fully vaccinated travellers above will also apply.
For more information, please visit Easing border measures for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada – Permitting discretionary travel for citizens and permanent residents of the United States – Canada.ca