Do more things that make you forget to check your phone!
LIST OF ACTIVITY PROVIDERS
Grand Bend Sailing SchoolGrand Bend Sailing SchoolContact: Ken Otte
Share that special feeling with your family and friends aboard Hypnautica, a well equipped 36 foot sailing sloop in Grand Bend.
We offer a three hour sailing experience on Lake Huron for up to six people. Your Captain will make sure you have a safe and relaxed experience. We will provide life jackets and beverages.
Learn the basics, get some hands on experience or just relax and enjoy the sail. For those who want to go further we offer the Sail Canada Basic Cruising certification course and Marine Radio course.
About your Captain: RYA Yachtmaster and Sail Canada Basic Cruising Instructor Ken Otte has been sailing for over 20 years. Three of those years were living aboard and skippering charter vessels in the Caribbean. When it comes to sailing/cruising Grand Bend Sailing School can show you the ropes!
According to Cycling Canada, the number of competitive and recreational riders has grown 10 per cent annually in recent years. No surprise then packing the family’s bikes along with the swimsuits is becoming a more frequent vacation plan.
Local bike routes vary from 8 to 40 kilometres and cycling guides are available at the Welcome Centre.
Mountain bikes, coaster bikes, tandems and classic bikes, including kids bikes, trailers and strollers, can be rented in Pinery Provincial Park (519-243-2220) by the hour, day or week. The bike rental is open daily 9am to 9pm and is located beside the park store.
In Goderich, look for 360 Bikes ‘n Boards (519-524-7171) where you can rent bikes by the hour, day or longer. They also offer bike repairs and sales of bikes, scooters, skateboards, longboards, paddleboards, apparel, and snowboarding accessories. They also special order parts, snowboard and ski waxing, bike rentals, and SUP rentals.
DECKS, RAMPS, BOARDS, BMX & SCOOTERS
Ready to ramp things up? The quaint village of Zurich is home to Ontario’s largest indoor skatepark. All In Action Sports & Skatepark (519-236-7203, allinactionsports.com), a 40,000-square feet indoor skatepark facility, is not just for the Tony Hawks of this world, it provides opportunity and inspiration for kids and adults.
Riding rookies benefit from training on courses with foam pits and padded ramps. Whether biking, skateboarding or testing your scooter skills, safety equipment and appropriate course levels ensure injury free fun. Packed with wall-to-wall incredible courses and features, All In hosts professional competitions, including the World Championships. Kids summer camps enable young riders a chance to work with some of the pros that compete in advanced competitions. Equipment rentals available – bring your own helmet, guards or pads.
Join more than 60,000 racing fans who annually attend heart-pumping action at one of Canada’s largest motorsport facilities, Grand Bend Motorplex (grandbendmotorplex.ca, 519-238-7223).
The Motorplex offers drag racing, road racing, oval-track racing and motorcross competition. It’s the location of the largest drag-racing event in Eastern Canada, the MOPAR Canadian Nationals, and now also the MOPAR Canadian Superbike Championship, which is televised on TSN. In 2019, the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) announced the addition of a “sportsman no electronics” class to the Summit Super Series program.
Ever wanted to take a Ferrari or Lamborghini or other exotic car for a drive? The GTA Exotic Cars (gtaexotics.ca) track experience program lets drivers select their dream car and take it for a spin.
Maybe you’d rather throttle it out on a motorcycle. The Racer 5 Motorcycle Training School (racer5.ca) is offering weekend training from introductory to pre-race levels for aspiring motorcycle racers.
Of course, crowd favourites like the Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racers Weekend, Stratford Spectacular, Windsor Race Weekend and Thunder by the Beach are all back for another year.
MOTORCYCLING ROUTES & GUIDES
Handy Motorcycling Websites:
GET A BIRD'S-EYE VIEW
Take a scenic daylight flight with Papple Aviation (pappleaviation.wordpress.com, 519-318-4224) from Goderich to Centralia (Exeter) year round. Seeing countryside from the air is a great way to experience the area’s beauty. Lake Huron’s shoreline changes daily and the water is so clear you can see individual rocks under the water.
Since 1982, the Grand Bend Sport Parachuting Center (skydivegrandbend.com) has operated as the only skydiving facility in Southwest Ontario. Qualified professional instructors assist beginners to advanced skydivers with freefalling. Whether you’re a freefalling expert or this is your first jump, there’s something for everyone at the parachuting centre. Instructors recognize a first jump can be frightening, so they offer new skydivers a freefall skydive with two instructors assisting until the parachute is activated, which is when the beginner steers the parachute with instructions via radio.
Skydiving not your thing? Try parasailing with Grand Bend Parasail (grandbendparasail.com) through the skies at heights of up to 1000 feet from the pier. There are several qualified instructors and operators who provide instruction to all participants, no matter their experience level. Deal can be had. Take advantage of early bird flights, which run from 9am to 11am daily; sunset loads where you can enjoy one of Canada’s best sunset destinations from a bird’s-eye view above the main beach; and group rates and specials for groups of eight or more people.
Other providers of seadoo and waverunner rentals include Deep Wave Rentals (deepwaverentals.com, 519-615-7333) and Splash Water Sports (splashgrandbend.com, 519-671-4865). Before you head out on the water, be sure to get your Pleasure Craft Operator Card. You can take the boater education course, pass the exam and print off your temporary card – all online at boaterexam.com/canada.
Bayfield’s Windmill Lake Wake & Eco Park (windmill-lake.ca, 519-524-0636), an eco-friendly outdoor recreation park, offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced cable wakeboarding, as well as stand-up paddleboarding, canoeing, kayaking and paddle boating. Windmill Lake is the only straight-line cable park in Huron County and the first bi-level wakeboarding park in Canada. There are adventures for the whole family with programming like PaddleFit, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, SUP Yoga and guided nature tours that wind through 200 acres of forest.
All About Horses (allabouthorsesthedford.info, 226-678-1471) in Thedford is not just a friendly boarding facility or place to learn to ride. They offer team building events, birthday parties and trail rides.
Home on the Range Frontier Town (frontiertown.ca, 519-523-9478) in Londesborough, offers 100 acres of trails throughout some of the area’s most spectacular scenery.
GYMS & YOGA LOCATIONS
- Birch Bark Trailer Park (Grand Bend): passes and memberships available to non-park visitors, com, birchbarkcamping.com, 519-238-8256, 36501 Dashwood Rd. (County Rd. 83).
- Grand Bend Gym (Grand Bend): 4am to 10pm daily, secure carded entry, passes and memberships, 6,200 square foot gym facility, grandbendgym.com, 519-238-6093, 37 Ontario Street North.
- Infinity Beach Yoga Studio (Grand Bend): NEW yoga studio conveniently located near the TD Bank, offers beginner to advanced Bikram, Hot & Reduced Heat Hatha, Modo-inspired and gentle yoga classes. infinitybeachyoga.ca, 519-671-5186, 18 Eight-One Crescent.
- My Fit Room (Forest): From low level and circuit training to Sweat & Sculpt and Boot Camp. myfitroomstudio.com, 7 King Street West.
- Oakwood Resort (Grand Bend): Drop-in, monthly and seasonal gym, pool and fitness class passes, oakwoodresort.ca/fitness-oakwood, 519-238-2324, 70671 Hwy. 21.
- South Huron Fitness (Exeter): 24-hour, 4,000 square foot gym facility; passes and memberships, southhuronfitness.com, 519-235-4555, 190 Thames Road E.
- YMCA Fitness Centre (Forest): Inside the Shores Recreation Centre. Adult and student priced day passes available, ymcaswo.ca, 519-786-9622, 7883 Amtelecom Pky.
- YMCA Fitness Centre (Goderich): Inside the Maitland Recreation Centre, ymcaswo.ca, 519-524-2125, 190 Suncoast Dr. E.
- YMCA Fitness Centre (Parkhill): Inside the North Middlesex Arena & Fitness Centre, ymcaswo.ca, 519-524-2125, 225 McLeod St.
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
- MOPAR Canadian National Superbike Series – June 12-14, 2020
- ONDR Nostalgia Weekend – June 5 – 7, 2020
- Bayfield Vettefest – July 3 & 4, 2020
- BaconFest – July 11, 2020
- MOPAR Canadian Nationals – July 31 – August 2, 2020
- Wind & Waves Outdoor Eco Festival – August 1 & 2, 2020
- Thunder by the Beach – September 4-7, 2020
- Volkfest, Bayfield – September 27, 2020
See Festivals & Events for more events, dates, times and details.