Lizzy’s Country Cafe and Catering
109 Main St., Thedford
Visit Lizzy’s Country Cafe & Catering
From dishwasher to chef, Britt has followed a natural progression in the food industry. “My first job as a dishwasher at a local golf course introduced me to the food industry. I was inspired by watching my peers prepare food and also by my parents and their love of food,” she says.
From tasting to eating to preparing food for others, Britt loves everything about the food creation process and is keen on the idea that others enjoy a meal she has prepared.
Her mentor is also the owner and boss, Liz Buzzell. “My relationship with the owner of Lizzy’s Country Café and Catering is amazing. Liz has been a huge mentor and has always encouraged me to explore with food.”
Britt says her favourite menu item is the chicken cordon bleu dinner, served with rice pilaf or garlic mashed and a medley of vegetables. She also delights in her homemade soups. Chef of today’s modern world, Britt searches social media, such as Pinterest, for promising new recipes. Her favourite cooking show “is probably ‘Below Deck’, the cooks put different items together to create different tastes – that inspires the creative in me.”
The four top ingredients Britt has handy are garlic, onions, butter, salt/pepper, and says she cannot work without her cutting board, knives and food processor.
When travelling, Britt seeks out Italian fare, and if she had to select a last meal, it would be pizza!
She takes pleasure in the fact that all the meals at Lizzy’s Country Cafe are homemade and prepared with much passion and that your experience will be that of “warm country charm, fun and friendly, home-cooked meals. Where passion meets food!”
Lizzy’s Country Café and Catering also provides take-out and frozen ready-to-heat and serve meals for home.
Chicken with Cheese and Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup & 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees fahrenheit and lightly grease a glass baking dish.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and toss in flour. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter, add chicken and brown on both sides. Place in baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and add the mushrooms, sauteé until browned.
- Stir in remaining flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in chicken broth and cream. Simmer until mixture thickens.
- Pour mushroom sauce over chicken and top with cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and broil until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.